The letter of motivation is a 2400-3000-character text in which the student candidates describe:
• Their previous studies and how they prepare them for study on the curriculum
• Their reasons for choosing the University of Tartu
• Possible research topics, proceeding from their interests and the offerings of the College of Foreign Languages and Cultures
• Planned studies (including their understanding of the structure and content of the curriculum)
• Plans after graduation.
The letter of motivation is written in English.
Aspects considered in assessing the letter of motivation:
• Student candidates’ preparation for the study of foreign languages and literatures
• Their familiarity with the curriculum and possible study options
• The clarity of their plans.
The deadline for submitting the letter of motivation is 15 March 2019 (application deadline).
Maximum score for the motivation letter is 100 points and minimum positive score is 51 points. The applicant needs to receive at least 51 points for the motivation letter, in order to have the essay assessed.