Registration for Students
Select the language you're interested in from the left-side menu and find out more about the courses taking place during the current semester.
Note: foreign exchange students who will study at the University of Tartu for a semester, year or longer should also read about registration in this section.
Fields necessary for the search:
- Search – by course
- Faculty/Department – Faculty of Humanities and Arts
- Institute/Department - College of Foreign Languages and Cultures
- Academic year, semester, type of study – select the year and semester (it's not necessary to specify the type of study, because the language courses are usually suitable for all students regardless of their type of study)
- Language training – select a language
You can read the general description of the course by clicking on the name of the course. At the bottom of the page you'll find the syllabus of the current semester.
NB! If you know the course code, all you need to fill in, is the first field "search – by course"
Our courses start with the codes FLGR, FLKE, FLLC, HVLC.
Some culture courses or general elective courses may not be listed under the language training section. If you wish to see all the courses that are offered by a specific department at the Language College, make and additional selection under the category "chair" and don't select anything under "language training".
- All the language courses consist of practical language lessons, which means that regular participation is very important and it's usually a requirement for passing the course. All students who wish to participate in a language course must be registered.
- Please keep in mind that registering to a course means that you will also have to take tests or exams in the course, as given in the course description.
- According to the Regulation of Studies at the University of Tartu, students shall be entitled to cancel their registration for a course provided that less than 10% of the course has taken place (i.e. before the 3rd class).
- If the study information system shows that the course is full, you can add yourself to the waiting list. Once a place opens up, the SIS will send an automatic notification to your e-mail (given that an
e-mail has been added to your contact information in SIS) and after that you will have 2 days to register to the course. If you don't complete your registration within the two days, the place if offered to the next student in the waiting list and your registration is cancelled. If the course has already started, but you are still in the waiting list, we recommend attending the first lesson because there may be places available in the auditorium.
- The autumn semester usually starts on the first of second week of September sand the spring semester starts on the second week of February. Courses last for 15-16 weeks.
- The length of the course is calculated in academic hours: 1 academic hour equals to 45 minutes, one language lesson lasts for 1,5 hours (i.e. 2 academic hours). One course is usually 60-64 academic hours (i.e. 30-32 meetings).
- The student will get all the necessary information from the lecturer in the first lesson.
- The language levels are marked according to CEFR standards: A (beginner), B (intermediate), C (advanced).