The courses start on the first week of September and last for 15-16 weeks.
NB! The university transfers to a new study information system. This may cause errors in the course links that provide more detailed information. Should this occur, we kindly ask you to contact the assistant to the head or the coordinators of the college.
Click on the course to see the time-tables, course descriptions, requirements etc in the study information system.
Language courses on the basis of English:
- HVLC.05.012 Russian for Beginners I, Level 0 > A1 (6 ECTS)
- HVLC.05.013 Russian for Beginners II, Level A1 > A2 (6 ECTS)
- HVLC.05.014 Russian for Pre-Intermediate Learners, Level A2 > B1 (6 ECTS)
- HVLC.05.033 Russian Grammar I (100% Web-based), Level A2 (3 ECTS)
- HVLC.05.034 Russian Grammar II (100% Web-based), Level B1 (3 ECTS)
Higher level language courses held in Russian:
- HVLC.05.020 Russian for Intermediate Learners I, Level B1.1 > B1.2 (6 ECTS)
- HVLC.05.021 Russian for Intermediate Learners II, Level B1.2 > B2.1 (6 ECTS)
- HVLC.05.023 Russian Grammar for Advanced Learners, Level B2 > C1 (6 ECTS)
- HVLC.05.003 Self-expression in Russian (Based on Russian Movies), Level B2 > C1 (6 ECTS)
Find the complete list of Russian courses on our Estonian homepage.
There are about 300 million Russian speakers worldwide. 160 million people use Russian as their mother tongue. Most of the native Russian speakers live in Russia. Larger communities of native Russian speakers are in Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Germany, and the United States. 29.7% of the population of Estonia (statistics as of 2000) speak Russian as their first language. Russian is also one of the official languages of the United Nations. Russian as a second language is spoken by 114 million speakers worldwide.
Russian is a language belonging to the East Slavic languages . Russian uses the Cyrillic alphabet. The Russian alphabet has 33 letters:
A [a] Б [b] В [v] Г [g] Д [d] Е [je] Ё [jo] Ж [ž] З [z] И [i] Й [j] K [k] Л [l] M [m] Н [n] O [o] П [p] Р [r] С [s] T [t] У [u] Ф [f] Х [h] Ц [ts] Ч [tš] Ш [š] Щ [štš] Ъ [-] ы [õ] Э [e] Ю [ju] Я [ja]
Register to the courses
The courses are generally free of charge for the students of the University of Tartu and for students from other Estonian higher education institutions (See which institutions and universities have a partnership with the University of Tartu). Visiting students from foreign higher education institutions need to pay for their language courses only if they are fee-paying students at the University of Tartu. In case of the latter, consult with the foreign student office regarding the credit point costs and conditions.
If you have an active SIS account, see how to register in the study information system.
If you're not a student, find all the information on prices and registration here.