Friday, 27 September, 17:00–17:30 (Jakobi 2, Room 102)
Language of presentation: Latvian
University of Latvia, BA student
santa.krievane [ät] gmail.com
Motifs of the Bible at A. Niedra Novel “Līduma dūmos”
This paper analyses Biblical motifs in Andrievs Niedra` novel “Līduma dūmos”. The goal of the paper is to point out the most dominant and frequent motifs of the Bible in Andrievs Niedra` novel.
It is hypothesized that several biblical motifs can be observed in Andrievs Niedra` novel "Līduma dūmos", and they are connected to some biographical facts from the author`s life.
The paper studies theoretical literature in order to gain understanding of the motifs, their diversity and form of expression. It analyses Niedra`s novel by using literary research methods as well as to learn and explore these methods.
In order to avoid misunderstanding, the following definition of the most significant term of the paper, namely, ‘motif’, is provided. Motif is a recurring object, concept, or structure in a work of literature. A motif can be an element or idea that recurs throughout the piece of literature. They can lead to the understanding of an overall theme of a book. It is important because it allows readers to see the main points and themes that the author is trying to express. The role of a motif in literature is to suggest a mood, theme, or even a moral.
While writing the paper I have studied the following theoretical materials:
- reviews about Niedra`s novel “Līduma dūmos”
- theoretical materials concerning literary theory and research methods,
- topical trends of the era,
- research materials about the author`s life, his opinions and ideas, writing habits, political and social view coverage.
- The analysis was made in accordance with the principle of the motifs of theTen Commandments.
- As a result of the analysis it is found out citations from the Bible are very rarely included in the text of the novel, mostly these were recognized as biblical motifs.
- According to the pastoral tradition, Niedra writes parables, by not precisely reproducing, but - modifying the biblical figures in the quotations.
- One of the main conclusions of the analysis is that novel is interwoven with many references to the Bible, but the dominant motif was the idea of the Commandments.
Key words: Bible, God, motifs, commandment, novel, A. Niedra