Scholarships for the summer school 2017:
Courses take place: 24 July - 4 August 2017
- Registration open: 2 February - 1 June 2017
- If you are applying for a scholarship offered by:
* the Achimedes Foundation:
- Estonian studies scholarships, apply by 15 March 2017
- Estonian governmental scholarships, apply by 20 March 2017
* the University of Tartu College of Foreign Languages and Cultures, apply by 1 May 2017
* the DAAD, apply by 1 June 2017
- If you are not applying for a scholarship, submit your application by 1 June 2017!
- Cancellation deadline: 9 June 2017
- Confirmation of groups: 12 June 2017
The Archimedes Foundation offers foreign students free places at Estonian language and culture courses organised by Estonian universities in 2017.
There are two types of scholarships you can apply for. Please note that although the coordinating institution is the same, the two programmes have different application deadlines and the conditions may not be the same in terms of which documentation you need to submit etc. You can read more about both programmes on the homepage of StudyinEstonia.ee and on the homepage of the Archimedes Foundation (direct links provided below).
- Estonian studies scholarships for language and culture summer courses (formerly administered by the Estonian Institute) - applications are due by 15 March 2017
- Estonian governmental scholarships for international students for participation in summer or winter schools - applications are due by 20 March 2017
German students (incl. foreign students studying in Germany) can apply for a grant as part of the Go East summer school program at the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). The scholarship consists of living expenses, travel expenses and course fees. For more information, visit the Go East summer school webpage.
An deutschen Hochschulen immatrikulierte Studierende können sich im Rahmen des Go East- Sommerschulprogramms beim Deutschen Akademischen Austauschdienst (DAAD) um ein Stipendium bewerben. Das Stipendium setzt sich zusammen aus Stipendienrate (zur Deckung der Aufenthaltskosten), Reisekostenzuschuss und Kursgebühren. Weitere Informationen dazu finden Sie unter:
Das zweigleisige Bewerbungsverfahren sieht vor, dass Interessenten sich parallel bei der Sommerschule um eine Zulassung und beim DAAD um ein Stipendium bewerben.
Additionally the College of Foreign Languages and Cultures will offer 2 scholarships, which cover the tuition fee of the course. The scholarship was created to honour the contribution and support by Epp-Karike Jürima Sonin and thus carries the name "Epp Sonin Scholarship".
In order to apply for the scholarship please submit your application to the summer course here and upload a motivation letter (not longer than approx 1 A4 page) on your connection to Estonia and why you wish to learn Estonian. Applicants with Estonian roots and applicants who don't qualify for student scholarships have an advantage, yet others are welcome to apply as well.
The Epp Sonin Scholarship results:
We are happy to announce that Heidrun and Cevin Harriman have been chosen as the receivers of the Epp Sonin scholarship!
Thank you all for applying, we received many interesting and inspiring motivation letters from all over the world. We wish you all the best and encourage you to apply again next year.
Continuing your studies is highly encouraged. If you've participated in our summer school before and would like to take the next level, don't hesitate to apply for a scholarship again.
Scholarship receivers are announced differently. Depending on the scholarship, the fund may inform you directly via e-mail or there may be a list of scholarship receivers posted on their homepage (+ waiting lists). Either way, we advise you to read all the information about any dates or deadlines carefully on their homepages or information letters (if provided). If you have trouble finding the necessary information, don't hesitate to contact us at keeled [ät] ut.ee or the scholarship providers directly.
Page updated 10.05.2017 19:37 pm