Meet Modern Scandinavia
Meet Modern Scandinavia is a series of mini-seminars and events relating to the culture, economy and society of the Scandinavian countries.
Our goal is to open gateways to partnerships, cooperation and inspiration across borders and along new horizons.
Follow our web-site for Scandinavia-related events, seminars or cooperation projects in Tartu, South-Estonia and at Skandinavistika!
- On Wednesday, February 15th at 9:15-10:00 (Lossi 3-304) we will be visited by Ida Iselin Eriksson from the Royal Norwegian Embassy who will talk about "Norwegian traditions". The event is in Norwegian!
Scandinavian Book Club
cum Fika! Fika! Fika!
On November 22 at 16:00 (Lossi 3-213). Take with you a good book by a Scandinavian author (or: on Scandinavia) you have recently read or are just reading - and com and share your experience!
On November 18th at 9:15 8 (Lossi 3-234) Skandinavistika will get a visit by two students of anthropology, Mads Kruse and Katrine Francke Johannesen from the University of Copenhagen: "We will make a presentation of what the everyday life is about living and studying Anthropology in Copenhagen.
Also we would like to share our experience of the Danish culture, and tell you a little bit about what you can expect when going to Denmark. We will try to be as cheerful and witty about this within our limit as Danes. Moreover we hope that we will provide you with some (hopefully) informative insights in to Danish culture.
We will furthermore describe what we think is the essence of studying anthropology.
In this regard we also wish to make a little bit of an explanation of what we are doing in Tartu, and why we think it is interesting to do an anthropological fieldwork here."
- On November 4th at 9.15 Skandinavistika will get a visit by Aslak Busch, trainee at the Norwegian Embassy in Tallinn.
- On May 17th at 9.00-11.00 (Jakobi 2-105) there will be two mini-lectures on modern teaching given by our colleagues from Sabanci University, Istanbul:
- 1. Effective Teaching and Learning in the 21st Century
- 2. Developing Oral Presentation Skills to Enhance Critical Thinking
- On May 11th at 13.00-14.00 (Lossi 3-304) we will have a visit by the Danish Ambassador in Estonia, Søren Kelstrup. He will talk about the topical issues in the Danish society right now.
- On On May the 5th at 13.00 (Lossi 3-234) the Danish poet Claus Høxbroe and the pianist Oscar Gilbert will visit the department of Scandinavian Studies, and talk about their poetry and play som music. For more information about the guests visit the website of Prima Vista festival.
- On April 13th at 11.00-12.00 (Jakobi 2-109): Kristin Skolt and Mette R. Olsen (trainees from the Royal Norwegian Embassy in Tallinn) will talk about "Det du ikke visste om Norge".
On March 22nd Scandinavian Book Club: Take with you a good book by a Scandinavian author (or: on Scandinavia) you have recently read or are just reading – and come and share your experience! Welcome at the College of World Languages and Cultures (Lossi 3/Jakobi 2) on March 22nd at 15:00!
- On March 15th, at 10.15-11.00 (Jakobi 2-105)
How to Create your company?
Mr. Aivar Pere, the business and entrepreneurship consultant of Tartu University (Research and Development Unit (R&D)), will speak about motivation, inspiration and action in creating your own future, creating your business (and thus establishing work and inspiration for many others).
Location: Jakobi 2-102, Philosophicum; Time: 9:00-9:45
Welcome! An inspirational hot coffee and bun event.
This event is in Estonian
Autumn term 2015
- On November 5th at 17:00 you are welcome to the “vernissage” of a joint Swedish-Estonian (and beyond) art cooperation project "Right in the Bullseye" at Tartu University Art Museum.
- On November 18th the Meet Modern Scandinavia series presents the possibilities for learning Swedish, Danish and Norwegian at the University of Tartu College of Foreign Languages and Cultures
- welcome to a small "digest" of cultures and FIKA - a special Swedish coffee and bun event!
Location: Jakobi 2-102; Time: 9:00-9:40
- Fika! Fika! Fika!
The mini-presentation is followed by the mix-and-mingle by students and local company owners & beginner enterprises. Come and meet our future dream team!
Coffee and hot buns!
- On November 25th the Meet Modern Scandinavia series presents: mini-seminar - lecture by Mr. Siim Espenberg, leading specialist for developing entrepreneurial activities for Tartu City Government, the Department for Business Development. Siim Espenberg will present an overview of entrepreneurship by Scandinavian companies in Tartu and South Estonia.
NB! This event is in Estonian!
Location: Jakobi 2-102; Time: 9:00-9:40
- On November 27th university lecturers Marianne Inkinen-Järvi and Jaana Jokinen from Helsinki University Language Centre will introduce their research in Second Language learners of Swedish.
NB! This seminar is in Swedish!
Location: Jakobi 2-109; Time: 10:00-11:40
- On December 8th 2015, at 16.15-17.45 o'clock (Jakobi 2-114) there will be a lecture on "Dialect performance in the production of authenticity in Bornholm tourism, food production and high-end restaurants" given by Marie Maegaard (University of Copenhagen). Find the abstract of her talk here.